Thursday, October 15, 2009

Red River Rivalry or Our Annual Traffic Nightmare

I don't know if you've ever tried to drive down I-35 from Austin to Dallas, but on a good day (with traffic and construction) you might make the trip in 3 1/2 hours.  I don't know what the drive is like from Oklahoma to Dallas down I-35.  I assume it is probably as bad.

Well, starting tomorrow morning (Friday 10/16), it will be a nightmare for those who are trying to get along I-35 and don't give a hoot about the Red River Rivalry.

I no longer live in Austin, but I made the mistake once of driving from Austin to Fort Worth on the Friday afternoon of RRR weekend.  It took me almost 6 hours to make the trip up I-35 to Hillsboro where I took the I-35 W split for Fort Worth.  Once on I-35 W, it took me about 30min to get to my destination.  I saw the backup on I-35 E to Dallas from Hillsboro and was relieved I was not going that way.

So, if you are planning on coming to Dallas for the weekend, you have my sympathy.  The only part of I-35 that will likely be traffic free is I-35 W.  You may want to think about using it to get to I-20 and then going to Dallas.

As for the game......well, I'm not a big sports fan.  And, even after living in Austin for 15 years, the excitement of the Longhorns never really rubbed off on me.  However, I will say this.........GO LONGHORNS!!!!

No comments: